Posted on Tuesday December 20, 2022
This is a friendly reminder from your water provider to take precautions to prevent your pipes from freezing.
As the temperature drops for more prolonged periods of time, the greater the chance that pipes could freeze and burst – causing costly damage to homes.
TIPS TO PREVENT PIPES FROM FREEZING
- Make sure the pipes in your homes are properly insulated and not exposed to freezing air.
- Maintain proper heat in your homes.
- Insulate pipes, particularly those outside or on the perimeter of the residence.
- Run a trickle of cold water on each floor of the home at the points furthest from the location of the main water service into the home.
- Make sure that there is warm air circulating in any area where there are water pipes. This includes garages and unheated areas of the home.
- Remove all garden hoses from hose bibs and cover the bibs with Styrofoam hose bib insulating caps.
- Make sure there are no broken windows.
- If pipes freeze, do not thaw them using candles or any open flame. Instead, please use a hair dryer or heating pad.